Saturday, January 24, 2009

Is is this crosstraining?


So on Wednesday, after a couple LONG days at work I took the afternoon off and my wife, Jessica, and I drove out to Roan Mountain in Tennessee and did some snowshoeing! With the temperature in the 20s, I thought it would be cool to do some endurance training off the bike. When my wife got me snowshoes for Christmas everyone asked her, "where are you going to snowshoe around HERE?" Roan Mountain, that's where!

As we climbed the mountain in our car I realized that it beat the heck out of riding up it (during the Roan Groan in June)! At the top we got out and headed up the AT for a 2hr snowshoe hike with our dog Jackie - what a blast! About halfway up Jess asked me, "Is this crosstraining?" Why yes, yes it is!

Winter is an awesome time to work on FTP, but it's also a time to recharge mentally, spend time with the family, and build your all-around fitness to avoid injury during the racing season. I'm psyched to have so many natural resources around Asheville and I hope you can get out and enjoy those around you as well.

Happy Crosstraining!

No comments: