Saturday, March 21, 2009

Blocking, Rolling, and Fasting

Being on call every other weekend tends to suck a little bit, but I try to make the most out of it. It gives me an opportunity to get in some long rides around Asheville (with the cell phone on of course), spend time with Jess and Jackie, and hang out in Asheville. This weekend was a typical call weekend: 1 case, not a ton of riding, lots of time in the woods with Jackie, worked on the bikes, and updated training plans for my athletes. Unfortunately Jess is out of town - running the Shamrock 1/2 Marathon in VA Beach (go Jess!).

Since I can't race every weekend I tend to train in 'blocks'. I'll ride hard (or race) for 2-3 days and then rest for 2-3 days. During the 'on' days I'll typically do intervals in the AM on my e-motion rollers with my powermeter, although I'll also get out for a long ride or double session during the week if my schedule and weather allows. My 'off' days involve easy spins, walks with the dog, yoga, or a light strength and/or core workout. 7-10 hours is not the 20-30 hours I used to put in, but I'm in better all-around shape than I used to be and I'm still competitive, but more importantly I'm healthy (I haven't been sick in over a year)!

Since this weekend ended up being 2 'off' days, I decided to try something new - an IF or intermittent fast - not eating for 24 hours. Now 10 years ago I would have freaked out at the idea (although I did do a 3 day fast during grad school), but nowadays I place overall health at the pinnacle of my fitness priorities with results a (very) close second. So I decided to try something different. I ate dinner last night around 7 and I'm not eating until dinner tonight. I'm heading out for an easy hike with the dog and after some time at the spa (courtesy of a birthday present from Jess!) I'm going to go grocery shopping and then cook a bunch of stuff for dinner and meals this week. It will be an exercise in self-control, but I'm going to think of it as 'foreplay'. I figure that today gives my body a break from work, digestion, stress, and training. I'm already anxious to get back on the bike, and I'm looking forward to seeing how my body responds to a day without food.

Think you could do it? Read more about intermittent fasting here: www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

No comments: