Monday, October 12, 2009

Traininig Races and Epic Rides

Since my last race report - I haven't done much official 'racing'. Only 2 training races in Fletcher Park outside of Asheville, split by a trip to Austin for a long weekend, and a bunch of training, and a little head cold to round out my schedule!

The last two races in Fletcher Park I ended up 3rd both times. The first was behind Will Black and Nathaniel Wyatt on a more technical, muddy course that took me about half the race to 'get it'. Then I was able to start making up time on Nate, while Will was out of sight. However Nate went about it pretty smartly and let me catch him, sat on my wheel, and then waited until I bobbled to sprint by and open a gap - well done! Two fun races.

Last weekend I'd scheduled the weekend off from call so that I could head to Greenville to race in the annual Greenville Classic, which got canceled! So Jess and I headed to Atlanta instead to go furniture shopping . . . YAY! Anyway, we had a nice time, having dinner at Cakes & Ale in Decatur (http://www.cakesandalerestaurant.com/) and then the "World's Best Pancakes" at Ria's Bluebird.

Jess was sweet enough to drop me off in Candler on the way home and I headed up 215 to the BRP. It's a beautiful road, and when I hit the top I was greeted by pea soup-thick fog! It was rather cool to ride through though and I stopped at a couple of overlooks and could see the sun making it's way around the clouds in the distance and lighting up the changing leaves. It was absolutely gorgeous! However it was rather slow going, made slower by my slowly leaking rear tire (which I augmented with my CO2 cartridge). It was so slow that I stopped at the Mt. Pisgah Inn and tried to hitch a ride down the mountain. No one was going my way, so I kept going until the bridges scared me too much in the rapidly decreasing light and cold. I was lucky that a former WCU runner stopped and gave me a hitch back to W. AVL! I will say that my shortened ride was still quite 'epic' due to the beauty of it all.

My parents were in town this weekend, so I got out for a quick, cold, and wet ride in Bent Creek on the 'cross bike yesterday followed by a ride through Mills River with Chris and Jacob today. Man was it windy today! While neither yesterday nor today were super-long or hilly, the conditions made both rides tough mentally. When you're riding down the road just trying to keep your bike in a straight line as the wind whips around you it's pretty intense! That being said, the sky was beautiful, as were the leaves and it was great to get out with some friends and enjoy the local roads. I hope you're doing the same!

Next weekend are my first 'official' cross races of the year in Cary and Raleigh. Wish me luck and have a great week!

No comments: