Saturday, February 28, 2009

What do you do?

Funny thing - Americans define ourselves largely by what we do for work. If you love your work, then this is a fun question to answer. If you don't, then not so much. Of course I love my job some days and others not so much. It all depends, just like cycling. It's not fun to do VO2 intervals, but it makes racing more fun!

Yesterday I had to work basically all day (on a Saturday), and it involved a training course for surgeons. It was a great time, everyone benefited, the downside was the smell of the cadaver we were working with! For those of you that don't know, my day job is medical sales (spine implants) and I spend most of my days in the OR, in cases - thankfully working with live people! It's an intense, and often stressful job, but very fun and rewarding. This often forces me to train first thing in the morning, on the rollers. It's very efficient, but not always fun. It all comes down to balance. Making sure that you can mentally handle everything in life, while not over or under-filling any one 'bucket' too much. I love the challenge of fitting as much as possible into my days and think it makes for quite a rewarding life. Just remember this when you can't ride or race because of other obligations, the weather, injury, etc.

So what do I do? I sell spine implants, ride my bike, spend as much time as possible with my wife and dog, and work hard doing almost everything. What do you do?

No comments: