Sunday, July 19, 2009

Race Report: FBCC


(me, 3rd from the right, in a familiar position in the weekend - not in front)

Well, the weekend started out with disappointment, but ended with excitement! NOT AT ALL - just more disappointment . . .

You can check out the story here: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090720/OUTDOORS/907200314

I've been 'nursing' some good form lately and was looking forward to Friday night's time trial and breaking my PR of 25:26. My goal was 25:15 and after a great warm up and almost perfect weather I was confident that this was possible. Unfortunately about 3/4 of the way to the turn-around it felt like my rear tire was going soft. I tried to put it out of my head, but when I sat up for the turn it was there - the dull 'thump' of the tire bottoming out. I decided to just put my head down and do what I could on the way back in hopes that the tire would hold a bit of air. Unfortunately there's not much more devastating psychologically during a TT than knowing that your bike is slow! I tried to ride as far forward as possible on the saddle to keep weight off the rear wheel, but had to actually brake through turns that I normally fly through at 30mph. At 5k to go I was on the rear rim and basically coasted in to the finish. The most disappointment came from knowing that it was a fast day on the course, and I still placed in the top 20 after soft-pedaling the second half of the course for a 26:28 . . . My teammate Jason Sprouse rocked it though with a 25:15 for a top 5 placing to put us in a great position for the RR on Saturday.

I thought I would enact my revenge on Saturday, however luck seemed to have other plans as my second rear-wheel debacle of the weekend ensued. My legs felt great, and although our team strategy of attacking from the gun failed, I was confident of my form as we approached the first major climb of the day as we chased the break of 3 that had gone from about 5k in the race. I climbed in the front group, and my power was good, but I just didn't seem to have the fluidity that I normally feel. However I attacked, as did Chris Emory (from the gun! What a stud!), and Jacob who was aggressive for the first half of the race as well. Chris and I were tailed off from the front group of 6 as we crested the climb and joined a chase group of 4 . Jason and Jacob stayed in the pack (which ended up being a smart play). Unfortunately we were quickly caught by what remained of the field and most of them decided to just sit in and not work to chase. I noticed that every time I sat up it felt like I was dragging, but ignored the sensation, attributing it to the wind-drag from us going 30-35mph through the valley. We hit the final climb, chasing 11th position and even though I was doing 400+W I was being passed by riders who I KNOW I climb better than (with all due respect). As it turns out I noticed a brushing sound and looked down to see my rear wheel was rubbing!! All motivation left my body and I climbed easily to the finish. How long was my brake rubbing my wheel? I don't know, but my power file indicates that it was probably a fair bit. I'll never know if I could've made the split and been in the top 10 or top 5 overall had I not had bad luck on Friday as well. Fortunately our aggressive tactics let Jason sit in and he took the 'sprint' for 11th up the climb with Chris Emory finisheing a strong 12th on the day, after being aggressive at the start. In hindsight we probably should have sat in a waited for the 1st long climb, but what fun would that have been ;)

So, 2 days of bad luck - Sunday would be my day! Again, NOT AT ALL. I felt good, not spectacular and tried to maintain my position toward the front of the stacked field. However the team, minus Jason who has been suffering from a stomach bug, and Jacob who is in NY attending a funeral, missed the selection and we ended up in the field - chasing. Chris Emory, Andrew and I all tried to bridge, but to no avail. As I went to launch an attack I broke a spoke and ended up in the pit. I tried to pull my motivation back up and after a couple laps in the field decided to make the best of the situation. Chris and I worked to lead Andrew out for the sprint, but a train up the outside with 1/2 lap to go, and a broken front derraileur on Andrew's bike, foiled our chances. I dove around a few riders going into the last turn and still managed 5th in the 'field sprint' for 13th (unlucky 13?) on the day. Not really the way I wanted to end my weekend or the last big race of the road season for me before ramping up for cyclocross season . . .

Check out some pics from the weekend here: http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=B0&Dato=20090719&Kategori=OUTDOORS&Lopenr=907190803&Ref=PH&referrer=PHOTOFEATURE

I hope those who got to watch the race(s) this weekend enjoyed them. Especially our generous sponsors:

Industry 9, Trek, Hutchinson, Liberty Bicycles, Rudy Project, Honey Stinger, Dr. Miller, PML, Eco Concepts Realty, ABRC, Champion, Velosports, and Affordable Home Inspections

No comments: