Saturday, July 3, 2010

Heat Exhaustion, the 'easy' way to lose a few pounds

Well, after my final preparations in the local TT, buying a cooling vest, and a base layer drinking system, I did my best to avoid using all of my 'advantages' during the NC State TT on June 26! After checking the forecast and seeing that it would be 80 degrees I figured that I could get away with a half of a water bottle and minimal pre-cooling.

This strategy worked well for about 1/2 of the race as I was right on my goal pace. Unfortunately I paid heavily during the second half . . . Long story short I managed to place top 10 overall and still take 1st in my age group: 30-34 Men. However I probably lost 2 minutes during the last half of the race and was fairly disappointed with my performance. Lesson learned!

But that wasn't the end of it. My dehydration from the race caused stomach cramps and compounded into a case of heat exhaustion. Fortunately I'm now recovered and no worse for wear except for watching a ton of World Cup while I was on the couch, and losing 5 lbs at one point. I've regained most of this, just in time for our trip to Europe. Look for Jess and I next Tuesday and Wednesday at Le Tour!

Happy 4th of July, and thanks to all of our sponsors:

Highland Brewing, Trek & Bontrager, Liberty Bikes, Rudy Project, PML Pathology, Mosaic Realty, Honey Stinger, Swiftwick, Carmichael Training Systems, Dr. Steve Miller DDS, Crossfit Brevard, Joe Lilly Photography, and Affordable Home Inspections.

No comments: