Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hendersonville Cross #2 (Lessons Learned)

So it would be easy for me to say that my weekend sucked. I was in the hospital at 6:30 yesterday, covering cases and didn't leave 'til about 4, missed the cyclocross race and by the time I got home it was too cold and dark and I was too tired to ride inside. I ate dinner w/ Jess watched a little TV and went to bed. Today, I got up and planned to hit the rollers for 30 minutes and stretch after my coffee and then relax until the race this afternoon. Instead I got a call and ended up back in the hospital 'til about 10. Oh well, at least I made it to the race!

After a solid warm-up, I felt great. During the practice lap, I saw that the course feature a nice, flat paved section (headwind) onto some switchback turn and then down, through barriers, before winding toward more pavement towards an uphill run-up. Then, pavement, onto some nice hard-pack into the woods and uphill back towards the fields and around the tennis courts to the 'wall' and back to the start finish. Overall this was a nice course for my skill set. Unfortunately while I was taking a practice lap, the other riders were lining up - so I ended up with a mid-pack start. This put me behind some crashing riders on the first lap and several rubbed wheels and a dropped chain later I was about 20th place after 1/2 a lap. No good. However I settled into a rhythm on the fast, technical course. My strategy is to usually 'chill' on the uphills and the run-ups and then make up time on the flat and technical sections. I was riding in about 5th place when my chain came off my rear derailleur for the SECOND time! With just over a lap to go, this was too much for me to handle and I pulled into the pit, grabbed my wheels and went back to the car.

It sucks when you think that you can win, or at least have a top 3 placing, but due to things out of your control you fail to reach your goals. Really? Actually what did I learn? I need to get to the start sooner, I need to run tighter gear ratios so that my chain doesn't slap around, and I need to pre-ride the course earlier.

It would be easy to look at the weekend and say that it 'sucked'. But my wife summed it up nicely, "You had some great cases this weekend, and at least you got to race today!" Good point. Oh yeah - and I just got back from a great dinner with great friends. I would say that Life is Good! I hope everyone has a great week.

No comments: