Sunday, April 5, 2009

I've Got Bruises on My Knees for You

Fortunately I didn't try to 'do headstands for you' like Hincapie did today in the Tour of Flanders . . . but yes, I did slide out in a turn and not only have a bruise on my knee, but a strawberry on my right butt cheek the size of a saucer. Could've been a lot worse though!

The team went to Rock Hill this weekend to do the crit and the road race. Jacob, Chris E. and I went down for the crit and Jason joined us today for the road race. The crit course was one of the best courses that I've done in a while. Technical, with 6 turns and rise to the Start/Finish, but wide-open and safe. Great course and fun! The usual suspects were there: Mountain Khakis, DLP, Global Bike, etc. Of course with 3 guys it was a little tough to cover every move and Mark Hekman from MK got away, and stayed away, for over 1/2 the race! Once he was brought back the counters started and ended with another MK rider, my friend, John Hamblen going away with about 5 to go. He stayed away and MK took the field sprint as I finished in 10th. Probably could have done a bit better had Darren, from Hincapie, chopped me on the inside in the final turn, where I lost 5 spots . . . Chris had a solid field finish and Jacob, suffering from a cold, compounded by allergies saved his energy for the road race. Check out the sprint here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1137694841596&ref=nf (I'm second from the left).

The Rock Hill Road Race marked my one year anniversary with the team and as my legs were feeling good, I had some high aspirations, and was shooting for at least another top 10. Chris E., Jacob, and Jason joined me, and we planned to 'race smart', follow moves and try to get in any breaks that looked to have the right mix. I figured I'd go with the early moves and followed some Mountain Khaki riders - first John Hamblen, then Mark Hekman. Unfortunately as I went through a series of turns on the first lap I went through a turn a little hot and hit some gravel - next thing I know I'm on the ground sliding with another rider on top of me. Fortunately the only result was a little road rash and a torn up rear derailleur. Unfortunately my race was over and Jason waited for me, causing him to burn a lot of energy to catch back on. I headed back to the start finish to lick (actually clean) my wounds and fix my derailleur. Meanwhile the break gained something ridiculous like 10 minutes . . . I hopped back in with the officials blessing on the second lap and tried to at least get a good workout in while not affecting the outcome of the race. Jacob was still feeling the affects of his allergies and Jason and Chris followed some good moves in the last lap. Unfortunately all the places were really up the road and we all cruised in with the field.

So, as I watch Stein Devolder win Flanders, with my belly full of meatball and spinach soup, Fat Tire, and a grilled cheese, I'm ready to get into bed to recover for another workout early tomorrow!

I hope each of you ended the day a little more comfortable than me. Congrats to Pete and all the winners this weekend, and thanks to our sponsors:

Industry 9, Trek, Hutchinson, Liberty Bicycles, Rudy Project, Honey Stinger, Dr. Miller, PML, Eco Concepts Realty, ABRC, Champion, Velosports, and Affordable Home Inspections. We couldn't do it without you!

You can check out their websites here: http://www.ashevilleelitecycling.com/officialsponsors.html

No comments: