Monday, June 8, 2009

Race Report: Roan Groan RR


The weekend began with an early morning wake up call at 5AM Saturday at the race started at 9AM and I wanted to get in my coffee, 'poop pudding', and whey protein a solid 3 hours before the start of the race. We won the road race last year by sending Jason up the road early to out-fox Brent Bookwalter and the other pros, but figured that strategy wouldn't work 2 years in a row. With Jason out due to his father-in-laws emergency surgery, Chris Emory, Jacob and I decided that Jacob would go with early moves and Chris and I would take our chances on the final climb to 5500' on Roan Mountain. I didn't make it to the top last year as I was active early chasing down moves, and after getting reeled in from a last minute attack I decided to turn around and get the car to shuttle my teammates home. The only time I'd been to the top of Roan was this past winter snowshoeing with my wife and dog!

As I chatted with my friend John Delong, I suggested we roll to the front. Well, John must have misunderstood my intent because he just kept rolling - all the way to the finish! Jacob and Chris followed some counter moves, but unfortunately were unable to get across to what was to be the winning break. The field settled into a nice tempo (compared to last years explosive fits and starts) and some others tried their hand at attacks as well. Jacob worked like a Trojan to reel in some of the late attacks and then followed fellow Asheviller Chris Ernst up the road in a late attack on the highway leading towards Roan Mountain. Emory went about halfway from the final turn to the start of the main climb as well!

Unfortunately Roan gobbled up all the late attacks (save for Adam Ray and John Delong who stayed away for 1st and 2nd) and the field charged up the climb after them. I hung to the back of the front group, dodging riders as they detonated in front of me, maintain my own rhythm. I looked up to see us pick up the 2 Chriss as well as Jacob after a couple of miles. The group continued to be whittled down under the pressure of a small group of 'little men'. I lost contact during the first steep portion, but reeled back the group of 5 on a false flat as I continued my individual TT up the climb. Unfortunately the distance, climb, and hardest training week of my year (OK 10 years) took it's toll and I lost contact after Eric Murphy attacked with 2 miles to go. The group put about 10 seconds into me and I had to settle for 8th on the day. Chris Emory finished 2 back to round out the top 10, and Jacob finished a superb day of work in the 'field' before we turned around to head back down the mountain. Aside from Myogenisis we were the only team with 2 in the top 10! Not bad for 3 working guys from across the border in NC?

Thanks to all of our sponsors, whom without we would have no bikes to ride (can you say 15lb bike?), wheels to ride on (love those Super Egos on the climb!), food to eat (Honey . . . yum), tires, glasses, clothes, etc!

Industry 9, Trek, Hutchinson, Liberty Bicycles, Rudy Project, Honey Stinger, Dr. Miller, PML, Eco Concepts Realty, ABRC, Champion, Velosports, and Affordable Home Inspections

No comments: