Thursday, May 21, 2009

For My Mom


After working I headed down to Marshall for the 2nd Asheville Time Trial Series race this year. I got a couple of calls from my teammates during the day letting me know that I would be doing the race solo tonight. Unfortunately as I was getting dressed I got a call from my parents as well and was informed that preliminary scans show abnormal growths in on of my mother's lungs. Not good news, and not what you want to hear ever, especially before a race. I tried to refocus and during my warm up I decided that I would pour my emotions into the pedals and fight like I know my Mom will fight regardless of the official diagnosis.

I felt awesome during my warm up and since I always struggle with going out too hard on this course (slight uphill to start) I made an extra effort to dose my power tonight. Pacing was almost perfect as I was only a few watts off my goal and averaged the same wattage on the way out as the way back. The result of my highest power numbers and a dedicated aero position on thie course was a new PR - 25:28! It was also the fastest time on the night, so I chalked up my second win in a week. This one's for my Mom! I love you Mom and I know you're going to pull through this regardless. We've done it before during tough times and we're going to do it this time!

No comments: