Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Race Report: Tour of Atlanta

By Andrew Erskine:

Tour of Atlanta

With the team divided over the Memorial Day weekend, with some of the guys racing in TN, I decided to go solo to race the Tour of Atlanta. It promised to be a very strong field with some of the better pro teams fielding full teams, it didn’t disappoint. Fly V Australia were there as were Champion Porsche, and they managed to keep the racing hard and fast throughout. The stages were to be made up mostly of crits/circuits, hard and fast, this is the racing that suits me well, high intensity, your either in it, or out the back door!

I raced well, and spent some time scrapping for wheels, as the bigger teams raced well and kept the pace high, I tried to stay close to the front in all the stages and give the final few laps my best shot, as I was riding solo I didn’t want to spend too much time making early efforts and getting blown away, the pace was consistently fast, so it made moving up solo hard. Got to contest the sprints with some good sprinters. My legs improved as the crits went on, and I was happy to finish right at or in the top 20 for all of my efforts each race.

Good racing, enjoyable, learning as always when you get to race against teams of that caliber. I raced the first 4 stages then took some time with family.

Good to also see some other familiar faces, the guys from Globalbike riding well in good numbers, and Adam and Chris and the Myogenesis team also strong, and caught Robert Watkins throwing it down with the Cat 3’s. I’m sure there were others, but it was a blur. The rest of the team did great in TN, so good representation in two states.

Thanks as always to our sponsors : Industry 9, Trek, Hutchinson, PML Pathology, Liberty Bikes, ABRC, Velosports Performance Center, Rudy Project, Eco Concepts Realty, Dr Steve Miller DDS, Honey Stinger

No comments: