Monday, May 11, 2009

Race Report: Pro Race series Atlanta Dick Lane Velodrome

Written by Andrew Erskine:

Pro Race series Atlanta Dick Lane Velodrome. Since Jeff Hopkins has taken over at Dick Lane he has been making strides and trying to take the racing to the next level. The traditional Festival of Speed has been replaced with the Pro race series, a 3 race series where there is a “featured” segment in addition to traditional omnium racing.

The first race series was “The Keirin”. 12 riders were invited to take part, and Jeff had managed to assemble some of the country’s fastest track pro’s, which in turn resulted in some of the fastest and most competitive track racing I have ever seen.

I was lucky enough to receive an invite, and got to rub shoulders(literally) with the best around. The field included the likes of Lanell Rockmore who was supposed to be at the Pan Am Games, Dave Espinoza, collegiate National Champ, amongst a plethora of national and World Champs, and the regions fastest pro’s. It was set up with 4 rounds of keirin races for points, to set up the finals, 5 keirins total!!!

Firstly though was the matter of the Omnium racing, as I mentioned the field was good, slightly smaller than usual with about 18 riders, but a stronger field, bringing out the best in everyone, a great day for the racers and spectators, good weather, good organization, the racing was even ahead of schedule, a good show. The racing started fast and furious with a 15 lap snowball, the pro teams had two’s and three’s and in the mass start events worked well, making it more difficult for the single riders, Team Type 1 and Jittery Joe’s raced well and countered all day, making it a constant chase, this kept the racing consistently fast which made it progressively harder. Jason Sprouse was scheduled to be racing with me but a last minute family emergency kept him at home, so I went solo.

I managed to jump hard in the middle of the snowball and get a gap, I stayed out for 2 laps, and get myself 2nd placed overall, a good start. The unknown distance was truly that, with the schedule running so well, this usually means a longer race, and the bell didn’t ring until the 18th lap I believe, the race was again flat out!! I had gone for it a few laps earlier taking my chance, so grabbed a wheel as the feild came through and hung on for 6th, not bad, but not what I wanted. Next up quickly came the 60 lap points race, legs were already feeling “alive” after 2 very fast races. The points race didn’t disappoint, with only 8 riders finishing, the teams made it hard, in fact I can honestly say that this was the hardest points race I have ever done, it was relentless, I managed to work hard and take a few sprint laps for points and stay with the lead group, I was forced into leading out the final sprint and just got taken at the line, which dropped me a place, but was happy with a 5th place after trading efforts with a stellar field. Sitting 4th in the omnium, I was tired but pleased given the company.

But wait, the reason I was here, the Keirin Invitational was about to start, all the sprinters who had come in, and had to this point ridden maybe 3-4 laps, were firing it up, I was now wondering how the 90 plus laps of racing I had done were going to feel. We were each given a helmet cover and a color for the evening, introduced and it was on!! 4 rounds of keirin. It was a blast, I learned a lot as I got “cozy” with the sprinters. Every race was fair, hard and SOOO fast, the crowd all picked a color and cheered as the derny went around, great atmosphere, loud music, good announcing, it was hard not to get swept up. I raced well, all the races were a bunch sprint to the line, with a bike length separating 6 riders in every round, it became a matter of placing yourself in the sweet spot, or “creating” a gap to put it politely. The guys who were in from T Town and all over were fast, and with a decent purse on the line were giving it everything. The crowd loved it. I ended up 9th overall in the keirin, again pleased with my efforts. I had managed to squeeze in 2 more Omnium races during the Keirin session giving me a total of 10 races on the day!!!, only 3 riders had done the double so to speak, with almost everyone either focusing on the Omnium, OR the Keirin (a smart move!) My Omnium placing started to slip as I was very tired toward the end, with every race being so fast and competitive and the repeated sprinting, my legs were crying out. Very happy with my form, and the DLV pro race series, giving me a chance to race against the best early in the season. The big guns put on a great show, Dave Espinoza taking a superb final ride against Lanell Rockmore at the line, with the crowd going wild. I managed to take a few dollars from the Big Boys, and better, took some great experience and racing and few new tricks!!

Brian Jones was also seen mixing it up with the B racers earlier in the day, flying the Asheville colors and doing well.

Thanks to Jeff Hopkins and the DLV crew for a great day, and of course, thanks to our sponsors for always making it possible.

Industry Nine, Trek, Hutchinson, PML, Honey Stinger, Liberty Bikes, ABRC, Eco Concepts Realty, Dr Steve Miller DDS, Rudy Project, VeloSports Performance Center and Champion Systems

No comments: