Monday, May 25, 2009

Nutrition is Important! Our SFG

When I started racing again a couple of years ago, I knew that it wouldn't be like before (training 20-30hrs per week, and racing 3-4 times per week). I would have to do what I could within the constraints of my 'new' life (working 40+hrs per week, often on my feet, spending time with Jess, training early in the morning, a body that was almost 10 years older, only devoting 5-10hrs per week to training, less sleep, etc.). So I set out to optimize each area of my cycling life: equipment, nutrition, recovery, etc.

Considering nutrition, I read a ton, and decided to pick up a couple of books. One I HIGHLY recommend is "The Paleo Diet for Athletes". In this book Cordain describes the evolution of our current digestive system and Friel contributes by explaining how endurance athletes can compromise to achieve the best of both worlds with respect to eating the 'right' way and still achieving optimal performance. Over the last 3 years I have become more and more primal in my eating habits and have worked on cutting out simple sugars, grains, white potatoes, cereals, etc. This flies directly in the face of most nutritionists and conventional wisdom, especially for endurance athletes, but it's hard to argue with the science, or the results! The best part about this diet is that I enjoy food - REAL FOOD, like vegetables, meats, nuts, etc. - more now than ever before! Jess and I cook some amazing meals and, don't get me wrong, we still enjoy our vices like cake, beer, and wine from time to time!

One of the big reasons that Jess and I moved to Asheville was for the abundance of locally grown food. Of course the epitome of local is growing your own food right? Toward this end, Jess and I started our own 'Square Foot Garden' at our new house this weekend. We are planting various vegetables for salads and other 'healthy' starches like squash, carrots, etc. Check out our pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=113027&id=584280718&l=99fdde35c7

Some other great links for 'Paleolithic' or 'Primal' Nutrition:
www.thepaleodiet.com
www.marksdailyapple.com
http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-4-21-18998-1,00.html
www.squarefootgardening.com

No comments: