Sunday, August 9, 2015

Breck Epic Stage 1

So stage 1 is in the books!  It's gonna be a rough week . . .

Today's course started with a "neutral" rollout right up a nice 2 mile pavement climb.  This shattered the field immediately before cutting onto a sweet single track decent, then a nice rolling singletrack trail before hitting a steep, loose double track climb.  Most riders were walking, as it was rideable, but after one rider spun out, then everyone was hoofing it!  After a short descent it was up a long fire road before heading into a high meadow and then up a long, tough double track climb.  This did the final job of blowing the field into bits and it was here that I noticed that once I hit 11000' then about all I could muster was 160bpm for any length of time.  This set my limiter for the day . . . at the top we descended a fast, loose, and rocky descent before blasting through a creek and heading up a winding climb.

At the top of this climb I took a nature break, had a snack and then hit a fast, long fire road descent.  The only obstacle here were some pot holes that were a little tough to negotiate as the morning shadows played on the road.  I blew through the first rest stop, as I had all that I needed in my Camelbak:


From here it was more climbing, of what was some of the best part of the course.  Rolling, fun singletrack!  We then hit a fireroad descent that was probably the least fun of the day.  I started to fall apart a bit and had to stop and take in some more calories.  After a bit of a gingerly ride down I started to feel better as we hit some pavement and I passed about a dozen riders as the sugar hit my system.  We then had a roller coaster of a finish up a singletrack climb and then down through a flow park to the finish!  36 miles of fun and pain!  Check out my ride here.

No comments: