Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Breck Epic Stage 3

Stage 3!  Check out the cool Google Earth Flyover.

The weather today called for a 60% chance of showers.  Not ideal when you're going up and over the Continental Divide (at 12000') two times!  However I prepared for it and took my Camelbak, stocked with clothes and gear.  However the only rain we saw is what's falling outside the window right now as I write this.

Today was the most fun I've had so far this week.  It was also the most I suffered:



The stage started with another 3 mile paved climb before turning into a bike park/flow track that climbed another few miles.  It was a steady grade and the goal today was to get in a nice warmup and not blow on the first climb like I did yesterday.  I wanted to steadily move up throughout the day, instead of suffering and just hang on.

After the first climb we dropped down to French Gulch Trail before hitting the first "real" climb of the day up to the Colorado Trail on Glacier Ridge Rd.  While the climb was steep, narrow, and bumpy, and ended with a hike-a-bike, the views were worth it!



After a Skittles and beer handup we rolled onto a fabulous descent for 3 miles.  I made up a lot of ground, but had to pass several riders that passed me at the top when I stopped to put my jacket on, pee, and eat some food.  The next climb started after the second Aid Station, and it was my kind of steady, dirt road climb.  I continued to make up time on the riders ahead of me and felt my energy start to flow into my legs.  However I still had trouble getting my heartrate over 150bpm (where 170 is normal for me on a long climb).  The altitude continues to hurt me this week!

The climb dumped us onto the Colorado Trail before the best descent of the day.  We were rewarded with more long range views and I stopped to put my jacket on again while taking in the scene.  After some rollers, we hit the descent which was fast and rocky.  Only two riders passed me, as I continued to pick off riders all the way down.

I stopped at the 3rd Aid Station, pounded a banana, and filled up with GU Roctane.  We started the final long climb, and I felt great and started out fast.  This didn't last long as the climb ratched up to 20%.  The loose surface had me hiking a couple of times toward the top and I started to curse the course at this point!  I gutted it out but lost a couple of spots here.  Fortunately we ended on the same bike park we started on, before dropping through some phenomenal singletrack (similar to what we have back in Asheville!).  I ripped through the finish and skidded to a stop with a huge grin on my face!  What a day!  17th and up to 16th overall

- Chris

No comments: