Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Breck Epic Stage 4: Aqueduct

Today's stage was the longest, and I would argue the hardest of the week.  It started in downtown Breckenridge with (yet another) paved 3 mile climb before hitting a doubletrack climb.  I got to the start with Chip 30 minutes early and we were toward the front which made the start much better today.  Up the first climb I was in the top 50 and had my best start of the week.  Top 50 doesn't sound like much, but when you have to line up behind EVERY race leader, including the team competitions, that's pretty good!  I maintained my position after Chip took a guy out behind him and caused a crash right in front of me!  This was the first of 4 minor climbs to start the day, before one MASSIVE 6 mile climb that gained 2000' of altitude, going up to 12000'.  The climbs were interspersed with some absolutely phenomenal singletrack and twisting descents that were an absolute blast!  I was feeling good and maintained a solid position going into and over "Vomit Hill" which was a brutal combination of 15%+ grades and hike-a-bike sections.  The reward for cresting this beast was a donut handup!  What's up Mike Stearns?

Following V.H. was a super-fun descent through singletrack in an open field, before hitting a rolling climb.  I continued to push hard and ended up with a rider I met yesterday.  He led down the descent and onto a paved section.  Unfortunately there was no paved section on today's course.  We missed a turn and lost 5 minutes before getting back on course.  Chip and I ended up together again going into the second Aid Station before the long climb.

I felt great starting the climb and settled into my rhythm as I started to pick riders off.  The doubletrack dirt road turned into gravel and this is where things started to fall apart for me today.  I don't know if I didn't eat or drink enough, if it was the altitude, fatigue, mental, or what, but I couldn't get my heartrate over140bpm and I started giving up places hand over fist.  I probably lost 30 spots and another 5 minutes on this climb.  I stopped at the top, and finished off the water in my Camelbak as well as two pack of energy chews before the descent.  It was pretty lonely out there and I didn't see another rider for a good 10 minutes.  I started to hearing cheering and hollering from behind and got overtaken by a couple of riders from Chattanooga.  They were having such a good time it rubbed off on me and I started to find my groove again.

We turned onto another dirt road and hit the final Aid Station of the day.  I pounded a banana and some GU Roctane, hopped on my bike, and took a nature break.  I got my second wind and started picking off riders up the next climb.  I continued to pick up steam and my legs came back as I caught a dozen riders in the last 10 miles, ripping up the last climb and onto the final descent.  Unfortunately I lost about 10 minutes for 21st and slipped into 20th place . . .

Aside from a wrong turn and a little bad patch, it was another fantastic day on the bike!

No comments: